Okeechobee County BOCC Public Information
March 21, 2020 1:55 p.m.
MESSAGE FROM EOC:
Please continue to observe social distancing, wash your hands frequently, and if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, call your local primary care physician or the Department of Health 863-462-5800.
DISCUSSION AND OUTLOOK:
Okeechobee County declared a Local State of Emergency along with 52 other Florida counties.
Emergency Management is at a partial Level 2 Activation. The COVID-19 information line is open Monday-Saturday 8-5pm. 863-763-3536.
COUNTY OFFICES STATUS:
• The Public Library is closed to public.
• Veteran Services office is closed to the public.
• Parks & Recreation Rental Facilities are closed to the public.
• The county swimming pool is closed. The rest of the sports park is open. Visitors are encouraged to use safety precautions.
• The Darrel Enfinger Sports Complex, Wooden Jungle Playground & Pavilion will be closed from dusk until 8am.
• Young at Heart Senior Service Center is closed to the public. Contact Senior Services at 863-462-5180
• The Tax Collectors office is only servicing Okeechobee residents, with only the person conducting the transaction allowed in the office. Renewal of vehicle registrations and driver’s license can be conducted online at: https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice. Paying property taxes is being conducted online at: Okeechobeecountytaxcollector.com. The drive thru window located at the back of the office is also available.
• The Okeechobee Clerk of Court has suspended the issuance of passports and the performance of marriage ceremonies until further notice. For information regarding Court Hearing Cancellations, please refer to Administrative Order 2020-01 on the 19th Judicial Circuit Website at: http://www.circuit19.org/
• Okeechobee County School System closed through April 15. Several locations will begin distributing no-cost meals to children 18 and under beginning Tuesday, March 24 – 27th, in a drive-thru model, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the OHS campus; Douglas Brown Center from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in a drive-thru model, as well as, grab and go; Okeechobee County Library from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. in a drive-thru model, as well as, grab and go.
• Due to minimizing public contact, Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office has ceased background checks, concealed weapon finger printing and all non-essential services until further notice. They will still respond to ALL emergencies and will still be patrolling neighborhoods and businesses.
• Property Appraisers Office is still open to the public, however, they are able to perform all statutory duties via phone, fax, email, US Mail, and all resources may be found on their website at http://www.okeechobeepa.com/.
NEW STATE EXECUTIVE ORDERS as of March 20, 2020:
• Executive Order 20-72: “All hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, office surgery centers, dental, orthodontic and endodontic offices, and other health care practitioners' offices in the State of Florida are prohibited from providing any medically unnecessary, non-urgent or non-emergency procedure or surgery which, if delayed, does not place a patient's immediate health, safety, or well-being at risk, or will, if delayed, not contribute to the worsening of a serious or life-threatening medical condition. Accordingly, all health care practitioners licensed in the State of Florida, including dentists, shall immediately cease performing these elective services.”
• Executive Order 20-71: “I hereby order all restaurants and food establishments licensed under Chapters 500 and 509, Florida Statues, within the State of Florida to suspend on-premises food consumption for customers. Such establishments may operate their kitchens for the purpose of providing delivery or take-out services; I hereby order the closure of gymnasiums and fitness centers within the State of Florida. This Executive Order shall expire upon the expiration of Executive Order 20-52, including any extensions.” Effective immediately.
Okeechobee County is currently operating under a state of local emergency.
Emergency Management remains at a partial Level 2 Activation and continues working with the Florida Department Health, Okeechobee County Health Department, the Florida Division of Emergency Management and local and state agencies. All updates will be sent out as they become available.
• The Board of County Commissioners has scheduled a County Briefing for Monday, March 23, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.