Okeechobee County Advisory on Tropical Storm Nicole #3
As of Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 1:00 p.m. Okeechobee County has these important updates:
- Okeechobee County is currently under a Tropical Storm Warning. The County is participating in calls with local and state partners, along with community partners and will be providing status updates as necessary in relation to Tropical Storm Nicole. The Emergency Operations Center is currently at activation level 2: partial activation.
- This system is expected to produce tropical storm conditions to include heavy rain, flooding, sustained winds of 45-60 mph, and gusts of up to 75 mph. All citizens should pay attention and monitor the weather and be prepared for a longer duration event.
- Two SHELTERS will be opening at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 9, 2022.
- A Special Needs Shelter will open at the Department of Health at 8:00 a.m. located at 1700 NW 9th Avenue. Registration is required at https://snr.flhealthresponse.com/
- A General Population and Pet Friendly shelter will open at South Elementary at 10:00 a.m. located at 2468 SW 7th Avenue. Pets are required to be registered with the County and provide a crate, up-to-date shot records, food for at least 3-5 days, water for the animal and a litter box if the pet is a cat.
- Residents should prepare for voluntary evacuations beginning Wednesday (11/9/22) for low lying areas, mobile homes, and areas prone to flooding.
- Closures scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday (11/9-11/10/22). *Please note many offices will also be closed on 11/11/22 for Veterans Day.
- Okeechobee County Offices* (except during the BOCC meeting at the Historic Courthouse on 11/9/22 at 8:30am)
- City of Okeechobee Offices*
- Okeechobee Judicial Center (Courthouse)*
- Okeechobee County Sheriff Office Administration Offices*
- Department of Health*
- Indian River State College*
- Disaster Recovery Center at the Okeechobee Library*
- Okeechobee County Public Schools
- Okeechobee County Parks (beginning at 2pm Tuesday)
- Okeechobee County Library (beginning at 4pm Tuesday)